by Jeanne Gossart


Canadian experience - Moving to the West Coast


I first got to Canada on a Travel visa, with a french passport you can get a visa valid for a couple months (to travel around the country) “France is a Schengen area country. Canadian citizens do not need a visa for travel to countries within the Schengen area. However, visa-free travel only applies to stays of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. “ This visa is great to come into Canada to see if you like the culture and get to know the place, however you are not able to work with this type of visa.


My recommendation is if you are SURE that you love Canada and would like to live here, apply and get the Working Holiday Visa (valid for 2 years) you can work and travel (any type of jobs) and after one full year of work (with the same company you get apply for the PR (Permanent Resident).

Let me explain the steps to apply for the working holiday visa in details.


Step 1: Is to register online to the pool. Your application should be completed to apply in the pool full of other applicants. The Canadian government will pick a few applicants, and you will be invited to apply to the working holiday visa. Make sure that you apply to the pool in advance and keep checking your status. It can take 2 days to a year or more depending on how many applicants are in the same pool and the quotas of the year.

Check out the following links:

If you are selected you will need to submit all the document online and they will annouce if your visa was accepted or not. I strongly advice to prepare the documents in advance, you won’t have much time once they make the selection.

Once you receive the approval of the visa you can enter Canada with your new visa (within a certain limited period)

After a full year (full time) work in a company with a qualified title and job description you may apply for the Permanent Residency PR, which will be an other step. In order to apply for the PR you need to have certain qualifications and contribute to the great economy of Canada.

After 5 years of PR, you may apply for the Canadian citizenship (to get the Canadian Passport)

Good luck to all the applicants.